Maharashtra Cricket Association is a group of members that governs cricketing activities all over Maharashtra. The Maharashtra cricket association’s cricket team participates in domestic cricket conducted by BCCI like Vijay Hazare, Ranji Trophy, etc. The game of cricket under this association happens considering international standards.
The venue for the matches is situated in Gahunje, Pune within Maharashtra, India.
District Cricket Associations that come under Maharashtra Cricket Association
- District Association for Dhule
- District Association for Jalgaon
- District Association for Pune
- District Association for Nasik
- District Association for the State of Nashik
- District Association for Nandurbar
- District Association for Kolhapur
- District Association for Aurangabad
- District Association for Hingoli
- District Association for Ahmednagar
- District Association for Satara
- District Association for Sangli
- District Association for Jalna
- District Association for Parbhani
- District Association for Ratnagiri
- District Association for Osmanabad
- District Association for Solapur
- District Association for Raigad
- District Association for Latur
- District Association for Beed
- Sharjah International Cricket Stadium
- Biggest Cricket Stadium in World: Motera Stadium
- God of Cricket: Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Details
The international stadium was built in Gahunje in Pune, Maharashtra, considering the international standards for cricket. It’s nearby Mumbai to Pune Expressway. It is the home ground for the Maharashtra cricketing teams, and the main headquarter that regulates cricketing even takes place all over Maharashtra under the association of Maharashtra Cricket.
The stadium was built in the little countryside area of Pune. The Nehru Stadium in Pune used to be the home ground for the Maharashtra cricket team. The stadium has international standards which host matches of white-ball cricket. The stadium has floodlights so that matches can even be scheduled at night and have the shape of a bowl that Michael Hopkins designs. They are the architects of London who were also permitted and authorized to build the latest cricket stadium in Pune.
The first-ever white-ball cricket match was played on the ground between Australia and India, and the first T20 match took place between England and India. These were about the international matches but if we talk about the very first match that happened in the stadium was a domestic IPL match between Kings xi Punjab vs. Pune Warriors in April 2012.
A new cricket ground has undergone many controversies and problems in the making with Pune municipal corporation regarding ticket matter setting for Nehru stadium. The disinterest from both parties was raised when the match of India vs Sri Lanka was shifted to Kolkata Eden Garden stadium, as MCA said they couldn’t host the match due to internal reasons; later on, MCA planned to build a new cricket stadium as they felt the need.
Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium Construction
The Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium was architected and designed by a foreign architect from an English country (British) named Hopkins Architects on 10th November 2010. It was accomplished for 1.50 billion consisting of a wide area of about 35 acres. However, not even a single match played in 2012 work was not finished, and the stadium could even conduct ICC Men’s world cup.
The stadium is present in between the mountains in the outskirts of Pune, besides the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
The seating allocation from every point for every fan is made to get a clear and amazing view of the match.
Due to raise in problem due to heavy downpour even after having rainwater drainage system, MCA chosen the option of Sand-based outfield area to be created with proper technical assistance. The job Sand-based outfield was given to STRI Ltd. The advantage of a Sand-based outfield is that it rapidly drains water present in the outfield, even during heavy rainfall. The cricket field can be made available to play cricket even after heavy showers in a short period.
- Kapil Dev: Biopic, Family, Career, Net Worth, Awards
- T20 WC 2021: India’s first defeat in World Cup history against Pakistan
- Most Runs in ODI
Features Provides at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium
- The stadium provides a parallel ground for net practice sessions before the match to get an idea regarding playing conditions, and small matches are also conducted on the same.
- The ground of 15 wicket match at a time.
- The stadium has four stands holding a seating capacity of around 37,400 at a time. It is a great number.
- There is a different stand constructed for Media and Pavilion members.
- The residential area is made available to the people where they can stay, eat and train themselves in State the art indoor cricket academy especially youth.
- Parking is a big threat in metropolitan areas. The good thing is the stadium gives parking space for almost 4,000 cars and 10,000 two-wheelers at a time.
- The stadium provides badminton and squash courts to get fresh and relax in other facilities. It offers a spa, swimming pool, restaurants, bars, etc. It also includes 80 corporate hospitality boxes for the guests.
Significant Facts about Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium
1. Big personality in fields of politics Preside Sharad Pawar inaugurated the stadium in 2012.
2. One of the biggest rivalries in cricket, Australia and India, was on the same ground in 2013.
3. The first T20 match was played between England and India.
4. IT is one of the stadiums built outskirts of a city usually made inside the metropolitan city.
5. IT is a headquarter of all the cricket associations present in the State of Maharashtra, and it is also a home ground for all the cricket associations.
Q What is the seating capacity of the MCA cricket stadium for the spectators?
The stadium allows many fans to view the match, almost around 37,000 spectators at a time.
Q How can one location and travel to the stadium to see the match?
The MCA stadium is located in the countryside area of the outskirts of Pune, just beside the Expressway. Fan or spectator can come there by private vehicle, and government busses and rickshaws might be available to reach out stadium.
Q Who crafted the design of the stadium?
Michael Hopkins designs the whole arena with a beautiful design carved in a bowl shape.
Q During Indian premier league, which team was given MCA Stadium as the home ground for IPL matches?
Pune Warriors, a newly introduced team in the IPL, was given this ground to play their fixtures, considering it as a home ground.